In 2021, Eugene has explored a few key sites in Japan including Izu-numa, Kabukuri-numa, Mt. Norikura, Watarase-yusuichi, Yatsuhigata, Sambanze, Higashiyoka-higata tidal flat, Tori-no-umi (Miyagi) and others. The social situation under COVID-19 pandemic didn’t allow him yet to freely move around and visit his hometown in Borneo, but he has met many foreign birders in Japan. When asked, he has provided his photographs for CEPA purpose.
Eugene helps event photography formally and informally.
- Photography for friend’s wedding (June 2021)
Key species in 2021:
- Will be updated soon.
Contribution to events and educational materials:
- He has provided photographs of Bornean birds for three articles written by Mr. Quentin Phillipps.
- Eugene has joined Japan’s Flyway National Meeting 2021 (3-5 December 2021) with a presentation titled “the impression of the Flyway Network Sites in Japan（日本のネットワーク参加地の印象）- from the eyes of a foreign photographer (low resolution English version).” While there is only one FNS in Malaysian Borneo, Japan has many and various and unique FNS that impressed him. The presentation shared his impressions and stories with the aim to reach out those who are not yet interested in wetlands and waterbirds.
- He has assisted in shorebirds colour marking works in Tokyo Bay and Torinoumi in Miyagi Prefecture.
- He has volunteered in a few CEPA activities of the Wetland Guide Chiba, a citizen volunteer guide group.